Candle care is so important, so we have put together some handy tips and advice to help keep your candle burn long, clean and safe.
Candle care is often overlooked, with many not knowing how to properly care, maintain and store their candle. Dirty glass, lopsided wax and sooty smelling burns are all signs that your candle needs a little extra love and care. To have a safe burn and to get the most out of your candle, take a look at some of the tips below.
Proper storage – all of our candles are made with an eco-friendly blend of coconut and soy wax. We use the highest quality wax, however, it’s a very soft wax and can melt if the ambient temperature is far too high. It’s important to remember to never leave your candle in direct sunlight, as this can damage the candle, unevenly melt the wax and ruin the scent throw.
It’s best to keep your candle somewhere cool and away from direct sunlight at all times.
Did you know that the first burn is the most important?
The first time you use your candle, make sure that you allow it to burn long enough to ensure that your wax melts evenly and completely across the top. Doing this will ensure that the candle will burn evenly thereafter, eliminating any possibility of candle tunneling.
You should also never leave your candle burning for more than 4 hours at a time. If you do, carbon can collect on the wick, creating a large flame that will cause your candle to smoke, release soot into the air and make the inside of your candle jar dirty.
TRIM YOUR WICK!
After each time you use your candle, you’ll notice that a small amount of soot has formed at the top of the wooden wick. Before relighting your candle again, be sure to trim the wick to keep it clean and soot free. Trimming your wick will keep your candle clean and eliminate smoky burns, thus giving your candle a longer life and cleaner burn.
It’s easy and requires no special tools to do it. With the wax
completely cool, simply break off the soot gently using your fingers or some paper towel, then discard it in the bin.
HELP! MY CANDLE KEEPS GOING OUT. WHAT CAN I DO?
Wooden wicks are very temperamental, and can test even the most seasoned candle user, and occasionally you might encounter a troublesome wick. This all had to do with the nature of the wood in your wick. Sometimes there are hidden knots in the wood, that can cause burn difficulties as the wick encounters a natural flaw that makes it harder for the wick to draw up the wax for fuel. So, if you find that for some reason your wooden wick will not stay lit no matter how hard you try, there are a few things you can do to help your wick along.
The first thing we suggest is to drain some of the excess wax around your wick, so as to make sure that it isn't "drowning". You can do this by lighting your candle and when you have a large enough melt pool, blow the candle out, then use a square of paper towel to gently soak up some of the excess wax. Allow the candle to cool and harden, trim the soot off your wick, then light the candle again.
If you still have issues, we also suggest priming your wick. You do this by coating or dipping your wick in some of the melted wax surrounding your candle. You can either use a candle dipper, tweezers or another small tool to do this. Just don't use your fingers!
If that pesky wick is still causing issues, then the last way to tackle your wick and get it kick-started is to trim off the end of a wooden skewer and to insert it into the wax next to the wick. Both the wick and skewer will burn safely and in harmony together, allowing for that knot in the wood to pass.
If this any of these methods work be sure to leave your candle burning long enough for it to form that complete melt pool across the top. You should now have a candle that will burn strong and evenly.
If you have any extra questions regarding candle care, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Most importantly, enjoy your candle!